Locusts are small insects with tiny wings. They feed on tress, plants, leaves, crops and greenery. Therefore, they are naturally attracted to green colour. They attack the fields in the form of swarms. According to research, there might be more than 40 million locusts in one swarm.
As they feed on greenery and crops, they are not considered home pests. They are known as “farmer enemies”. They usually attack the lush green fields in the form of swarms. Once they attack, they do not care about the ripe crops. They can wipe out any kind of fields within minutes. Usually, they do not attack human beings, but they left an unforgettable mark on the farmer’s efforts and expenditure.
Locusts are the prey of birds, spiders, lizards etc. They hate the taste of garlic and hot pepper. In case of little infestation, the plants can be saved by these remedies.
PROFESSIONAL PEST CONTROL SERVICES TO GET RID OF LOCUSTS:
- Pest control services to destroy a locust colony is a challenging task. There is a possibility that locusts might attack the nearby fields after getting unsuccessful in invading your crops. So, first of all, one should get a “No Objection Certificate (NOC)” from the concerned higher authorities to seek professional pest control services.
- After this, a team of specialists and technicians analyse the fields to identify the extensiveness of invasion.
- There are more than 2000 species of locusts present in this world. This is why specialists examine the species and type of locusts through their traces.
- Once these things are done, technicians decide the way of operation. It might be in the form of spray or liquid which would be applied to the field to save the crops from the locust swarms.
- Technicians prescribe the anti-pest formula based on the nature of the field. For example, if it is a ripe field, it would be examined by the specialists whether the formulae being used to kill the locusts can be used for human consumption or not.
- Once the type and nature of pest control treatment are suggested, the operose pest control treatment is being done on the fields to save them from locust infestation.
POST TREATMENT PRECAUTIONS:
Once the treatment is done, specialists suggest the best possible precautionary measures to the farmers including:
- Use of high frequency sounds either created by hand-beaten drums or set up a speaker system with loud music to scare the locusts from being entered in the fields.
- Cover the entire area with some net or cloth (except green) to not get attracted by the locust swarm.
- Use of any crop friendly chemical on daily basis to further secure the field from the possible locust attack.